[Sffn] the future of SFSN

Craig J. Ries silvanthalas_cjr at comcast.net
Fri May 6 23:34:44 CDT 2005

Bruce wrote:

> We have yet to hear when changes have been made to SFSN.

Well, we know of this much:

A) SFFN became SFSN due to a news program.
B) Doctor Who was scaled back.
C) Frisbee was dropped
D) The BBC decided not to let PBS stations renew the licenses for Doctor
Who; they want to package the old series with the new. As you can see,
the BBC has yet to get a station willing to air the new Who here in
America thus
E) IPTV did not have a pledge drive for Doctor Who or SFSN this year.

As much as I love Doctor Who and Red Dwarf, the first six series of Red
Dwarf are on DVD. When Doctor Who is forced off the air from IPTV, I'd
say that about ends it, as I consider Who to be the heart and soul of
SFFN.

> You would think IPTV knows about the renewal of DR. Who?

As I stated above, the renewal (or lack thereof due to the BBC) is why
UNIT was told that there would be no pledge drive for SFSN this year,
but the group could volunteer anyways.

And, while I was never able to volunteer myself, I at least give the
folks at IPTV credit for extending the offer (I don't recall whether
anybody took them up on it or not), when they could have just as easily
ignored us altogether.

Craig J. Ries